Thursday, March 31, 2005

Mercy, Me

I'm sure by now you've all heard that Terri Shiavo has finally died. I can't even begin to put into words how upsetting this whole case has been for me. I cannot believe that in my own country millions of people agreed that letting a living, breathing person whose mental health was questionable starve to death before the nation was "the right thing to do." Laws are changed all of the time. Circumstances force re-evaluations of existing boundaries and rules daily. If there were any questions to this woman's mental competency, the laws should have allowed additional medical examinations. This woman had rights also. My heart aches for her suffering family. How awful to watch your child die in this horrible way and not be allowed to help her! What an awful thing for our proud country to stand for. I hope my husband loves me enough to consider my entire family when deciding any actions on my behalf.

I think I'll go hug my children, and then call a lawyer to get a living will set up so that my own family's decisions over life or death will NEVER be at the mercy of this land's government or ambivalent lawyers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home