Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Power up!!

I awoke this morning to a blank-faced alarm clock and a too quiet home. You guessed it. The power was out!! There was a chill in the house and the familiar comfortable hum of appliances was missing. I decided against the usual hygiene routine and scrambled to get the children ready on time (we were late because of the electric alarm clock failure.) When I loaded everyone into the car I realized that I needed fuel. So we swung into the local gas station. Foiled again...electric pumps. So I grabbed some doughnuts and a mountain dew to buffer my already nightmarish morning. At the checkstand I found an electronic cash register...no debit cards...only checks or cash. I dashed to my car for a checkbook for a $2.14 purchase....sheeeezzz! Now I was really late and the traffic was horrible because the stoplights were out in front of the high school!! Pandemonium!! I was frazzled by the time I reached work.

With all of this one would tend to think I'd be grumpy today. However, I made a conscious decision to use this setback as a chance to reflect on how grateful I am that I HAVE power, at least most of the time. Oh how horrible my world would be without a cold fridge of Mountain Dew, my computer, debit cards, heaters, pay-at-the-pump, modern appliances, and a warm water for my laundry and bath tub!! Thank you very much, Mr. Thomas Alva Edison!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home